Friday, October 24, 2008

Just Because It Comes In Your Size Doesn't Mean You Should Wear It.

A friend/coworker recently came to work wearing a man's golf shirt. The shoulders were at least 3" too big. I try to only comment on the positive, but I couldn't help myself!!! I just had to ask her, "Why?!!!"
"Because," she relied, "women's golf shirts don't fit." I pointed out that this man's shirt didn't fit either. Her reasoning: in order for the shirt to fit her hips it had to be 2 sizes too big in the shoulders.

This got me thinking how many times I've been guilty of the very same logic. Like many women, I have difficulty finding clothes that fit. Pants that fit my hips are too big in the waist. Tops that fit my shoulders are usually too small in stomach/hip area. Countless times I've bought something just because I could drape it over my largest asset. :-)


Which brings me to recommend another style TV show. Tim Gunn's Guide to Style on the Bravo channel. Tim is the Chief Creative Officer for Liz Claiborne, but he is best known as a style guru on Project Runway. One thing that Tim tells his clients is to be more discerning when shopping. Don't buy everything just because you can. Instead buy only the items that look great on you. No one can afford to buy clothes that don't fit and don't look great when worn. What this means is that I may try on 50 things, but only buy 1.

More tips from Tim.
- Whatever you're style, Dress for the body you have, not the one you may have next month or year.
- Don't hang on to items that you don't wear. If you haven't worn it in the last year, get rid of it! (I think 18-24 months is more reasonable)
- Don't hang on to items that don't fit.

Wow, that last one is tough. Most women have several sizes of clothes to accommodate their up & down weight patterns. So maybe you don't have to throw everything out, but use a critical eye to thin out the excess.

You can click here to visit Tim Gunn's Guide to Style website. Once there you can learn about his 10 essential wardrobe items, watch whole episodes or even play some fashion games. Click here for the Do or Don't game. Check it out and have some fun.

WHAT? You're wondering why I'm obsessed with style shows? Well...a TV show will not make anyone beautiful. Besides, we already are DAMN GOOD LOOKING WOMEN. What these shows can do is educate women on how to accentuate and compliment their natural beauty. So go forth into the world and let your beauty shine!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm guilty too! Of watching those shows and of keeping clothes that don't fit and buying things just because they do.

I love "What Not to Wear". They really transform women just by updating their hair & makeup and teaching them how to buy clothes that fit their body. And that yes, sometimes you do buy clothes that fit your largest asset, but then you take them to a tailor to get them fitted in all the other places! We can do it. Why? Because it makes us look damn good!

Mary Ann said...

Kris, You are 100% right about the tailor It's almost impossible to find pants that fit me, so I take them to a tailor. Sure it's not free, but the trade off is that my clothes look as good as I do!!! HA!

I love WNTW too!!! But sometimes I think that Clinton (co-host) needs a make over! Don't you?

Anonymous said...

Mary Ann, I think this is a great topic. I'm freaked out with the young men and even slightly mature men that wear their big, baggy jeans 1/2 way down past their butt and show their boxers...what is that all about??? Some of them look like they can barely walk and the pants are about to hit the floor. Do they really think it is stylish? It's so laughable!

Unknown said...

I went thru my closet this weekend and got rid of several things that were not flattering. My 16 yr old daughter helped me. She is really good at the "MOM!, Don't wear that!!!" Everyone should have someone to tell them honestly what looks good, and politely what does not.

Mary Ann said...

I really don't know what's up with young men's fashion. We know what's down... It's their jeans!! HA! I just hope the boxers stay up!!HAHA
I guess looking good and looking cool are not the same thing.

Funny story, a few years back I was waiting outside the high school for my daughter. A strapping young man with a very pronounced limp/shuffle came out of the school. My heart went out to him. You know to be lame at such a young age, it was just so sad!! As he got closer I realized that his limp was caused by his oversized jeans and not his physical condition. The jean's waist was so low he couldn't make a proper stride when he walked. haha

Mary Ann said...

I have the teenaged, fashion critic at home too. She's usually right...but she could be more polite about the whole thing!! HA!