Thursday, September 18, 2008

JUST SAY THANK YOU

Today's topic is how to receive a compliment. The correct way to respond is to say "Thank You" and nothing else. Try it. It's harder than you think. Most people will reply with a comment that contradicts the compliment. We are striving to be more positive and contradictions are negative.

DOs and DON'Ts of accepting a compliment:

Compliment: You look nice today.
DO: :-) (Smile) THANK YOU :-) (Continue to smile)
DON'T: OH I feel bloated today. (Implies - how can I look good if I feel bad)
DON'T: I couldn't get my hair to work. (Says - you're wrong)

Compliment: I like your blouse/shirt.
DO: :-) THANK YOU :-)
DON'T: This?! I got it at Wal-Mart/Kmart/Target. (May be true, but implies CHEAP!!!)
DON'T: I didn't have time to iron it. (Implies - there's nothing to like)

Compliment: That was a great idea, you fixed the problem.
DO: :-) THANK YOU :-)
DON'T: It took me days to figure it out. (Implies - I can only be smart if given enough time)

The 'DON'T' comments are misplaced modesty. They depreciate the compliment and thereby depreciate YOU!!! And that is not acceptable!!! Also, they depreciate the person giving the compliment by saying, "You don't know what you're talking about. I don't look good, this top is awful and I'm not very smart." That seems rude doesn't it? Not only is 'Thank You' the polite response, it also sends a message to your subconscious. The message is..."Hey...that compliment just might be true!!" Most of us suffer, to some degree, with self esteem issues. We need to battle against that little voice inside that keeps saying "you're not good enough" FYI, that voice is never right.

Just to show how difficult it is to accept a compliment, I recently received a nice comment regarding my singing voice. (Yes Kris, I'm still singing with or without the radio. HA!!!) Well I immediately started to give a very negative opinion of my voice. In mid sentence I realized what I was doing and I clamped my hand over my mouth to stop myself. I couldn't help it, and I know better!! It doesn't matter how many times you forget, just learn to say 'THANK YOU' and learn to accept how wonderful and DAMN GOOD LOOKING YOU ARE!!

No comments: